Friday, October 1, 2010

Lyme Disease Research

My research into Lyme Disease began about four months ago, after a close friend was diagnosed. When I saw how sick she was, I realized that I probably didn't know everything about Lyme Disease that I thought I did. And to be honest, I'm not really sure what I "thought" I knew anyway. All I knew is that a few people have had it over the years, they take an antibiotic for a few weeks and they are fine. My friend's case was something totally different. So I needed to know.

It started the night she invited me to attend the Lyme Disease Info Session in our town back in May. I wanted to know more about LD so I could protect my own family, most importantly my young daughter. The outcome of that Info Session has led me on several months of internet research, and reading several books which I'd like to share because they were helpful to me.

If you have other books to suggest, please drop a comment. My bookshelf is never too full!

Cure Unknown, Pamela Weintraub

Pamela Weintraub's Cure Unknown was a perfect jumping off point in my research. The organizers of the Lyme Disease info session I attended highly recommended Ms. Weintraub's book which I ran out to purchase immediately. After reading this book, you will be more educated about Lyme Disease than most Doctors in our country (except for the fantastic LLMD's out there, if you can find one).

If you are unfortunate enough to actually have Lyme Disease, this book is best read in small portions. It can be overwhelming at times because of the conundrum that Lyme Disease sufferers find themselves in when battling the medical and health insurance communities.

But a warning. Whether or not you have Lyme Disease, if you read this book, it will make you never want to step foot outside again. Even your own backyard will become a dark and sinister place. When you're facing a predator that's the size of a freckle, it can make you feel as small as a grain of sand.

Lab 257: The Disturbing Story of the Government's Secret Germ Laboratory, Michael Christopher Carroll

After finishing Cure Unknown, I lent the book to a friend and went on a search for my next book. I just purchased and started reading Michael Christopher Carroll's Lab 257 : The Disturbing Story of the Government's Secret Germ Laboratory which is by far, much scarier than Cure Unknown. If you have any pent-up resentments toward the Federal Government, and if you think they are most likely not telling citizens the 'whole truth and nothing but the truth', and you want further reason to be incensed, grab a copy of Lab 257 today. If you suffer with Lyme Disease, it's a must read. I truly believe that I will beat this damn Disease with 2% medication/supplements and 98% grit and determination. For me, I need to be pissed off in order to fight, so I thank you, Michael Christopher Carroll, for giving me the fuel to make me fight Lyme Disease harder. I'm only 1/3 of the way through the book right now but I plan on plowing through the rest this weekend. It's a page turner that will leave your jaw dropped open.

No comments: