Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lyme Disease Support Group

My friend, Jamie, invited me to join her informal Lyme Disease support group after I was diagnosed. The group meets the first Tuesday of each month for dinner and discussion. There are six women so far, maybe more in the future as we meet more people. It's a fantastic outlet to vent your frustrations, discuss what phase of treatment we are in, share the various medications and supplements that we have been on, and most importantly, the various Herxheimer reactions that the individuals have experienced.

Since I'm just starting my treatment, it's important to me to know the possibilities out there. I know everyone's herx is different, but knowledge is power and I can't get my hands on enough information. This group has provided a much-needed outlet and sounding board.

I have plans to do some outreach in the next year, I've been researching various support groups, non-profit research organizations, etc. to see what volunteer options there might be. For some very odd reason (to me), there aren't a lot of events in Maryland to get the word out about Lyme, so I'm hoping to change that. I think it will help me stay focused on something positive, as I go through the highs and lows of what is sure to be a long and difficult road to health.

No comments: