Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Meds

So after seeing the Holistic doctor, here is what I'm taking the first month of treatment. I have a follow-up with the Doctor in 4 weeks to review my bloodwork and assess how I'm feeling:

1. Diflucan - anti-fungal medicine for one month, to be re-evaluated at my next visit. May have to continue. There is a Herxheimer Effect from Candida die-off which produces toxins in your body as the yeast dies. It makes you feel worse, before you feel better. Should be a fun month.

2. Omega-3/Fish Oil - Taking 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon.

3. ActivNutrients - A powerful multi-vitamin, 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon.

4. Vitamin D - pretty much everyone is VitD deficient these days so he put me on a supplement immediately until we get blood work back.

5. Probiotic Pearls - 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon. Basically everyone should be on Probiotics daily. Especially someone like me who has such massive stomach issues on a daily basis. I was "diagnosed" with Irritable Bowel Syndrome in High School and have suffered the consequences for 20 years. I've enjoyed a very normal schedule for the past few weeks since I started popping these little gems. (I started the Probiotics before I had my appointment with the Holistic Doctor.)

6. Trazadone - a happy pill, non-habit-forming, to help me sleep. And boy have I slept well. I fall asleep quickly. I did wake up a few nights, but I feel right back to sleep. It was fantastic. I can't remember the last time I had such a peaceful sleep through the night. This is a drug you have to build up to. You start with 1/2 pill for a week, then 1 nightly for a week, then 1.5, then 2. If I'm not sleeping well still, it can go as high as 4 per night, but I'm already seeing benefits from just 1/2 so I don't think I'll ever get as high as 4. I hate drugs, but I'm enjoying this one so far.

7. Iron Supplement - until I get the blood work back, I still have to continue my Iron Supplement to battle the Anemia. Once I get my Hematocrit and Hemoglobin levels back, I'll know if I can stop the Iron or if I have to continue taking it. The Doc might change my dosage if I'm still deficient.

So that's it for now. I go back to the Doc mid-October to check my bloodwork. I also sent in my hair sample this week. Had to cut large chunks of hair from the back of my head and cut off the last one-inch sample closest to my scalp (new growth) and pile it up on a scale until it tipped. It took a lot of hair to tip that scale. So now I am waiting for those results too. They test for heavy metal toxicity (mercury, lead, arsenic, iron, etc.). I'm almost afraid to hear the results.

Another step we're taking is getting an indoor air quality test and mold check in our house. Again, totally afraid of those results since we know this house had 4 feet of water in it after Hurricane Isabel in 2003. That was before we owned our house but the previous owner told us he did a "total rehab" after the flood. But that doesn't mean there is not still water damage and mold lurking in our walls.

No comments: