Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sinuses, Insomnia, and Stomach, Oh My!

I've started a new journey. I'm not traveling anywhere. Not starting a new job. I'm not pregnant. I've been happily married for almost 10 years. And I'm not switching religious or political affiliations. I'm searching for health. The kind of health where I wake up feeling, well.....? Healthy! The kind of health where I don't grunt and groan when I get out of bed, where I can peel my daughter's banana in the morning without having to grab a knife to help the job, where I'm not constantly scratching my head (literally) from long-term dandruff and flaky scalp, where I can breeeeeeeeathe free and clear. Health that refreshes me, and invigorates me, and makes me happy that I'm alive today.

For the past few years (I don't really remember when or how it started), I've been seeking out some answer to my aching question...what the hell is wrong with me? My list of symptoms is so long, I didn't even know where to begin. So I started to write them down in a journal. And that journal became a reason to go into a Depression because there was such a long list that started at the top of my head and ended at my pinky toe. So certainly, I must be dying of cancer that had spread throughout my body, or some other crazy Disease that only Doctor House (on FOX) would be able to diagnose.

I made appointments with everyone. My Primary Care Physician, my GYN, my Dermatologist, my Dentist, Eye Doctor, ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat), Allergist, you name it. I was researching sleep studies in my area when my girlfriend called to tell me she had Lyme Disease. Oh bummer, I thought. Then I talked to her more. And the symptoms she was experiencing, very much mimicked the ones I had myself. Her new Doctor was having an info session in our neighborhood in a few weeks, and my friend invited me to join her. I was intrigued. I thought Lyme Disease treatment was just a simple round of antibiotics for the cure. Boy was I wrong!

After the info session, learning about the gross mis-diagnosis of Lyme Disease in our country, and how the Medical community is in the pockets of the Pharmaceutical industry, I was disgusted enough to start investigating on my own. I started a rampant Internet search on various topics involving patient mistrust, malpractice, pharmaceutical research, CDC protocol, diagnostics in the medical community, and much more. I read, researched, read, researched, and read some more. I came to the clear conclusion that our Society is being duped by the "medical" community (and more grossly by the Pharma Industry). Granted, I'm at the very start of my journey, so I may reverse this decision later. I just want to document this very BIG step for me, because I need to be able to read through my milestones as I run through this. What are my symptoms now? What am I taking? What do I feel each week? What does my new Doctor change in my meds? How does that make me feel? I want to document it for me, and for all of you (probably nobody). But at least I have a record and a timestamp for myself.

This is my journey, towards a total body health...

No comments: